segunda-feira, novembro 15, 2004

“Everybody here wants you”


I have very strong references to situations and people in my life with your music attached to it.

I knew already what a brilliant songwriter u were, what great vocals u possessed and what a strong social consciousness you´ve developed.

You are indeed a poet and a “petite” genius.

What I hadn’t realized is that you´d suddenly ascended to the status of gay icon. Or messiah, although u declare publicly that u don’t regard yourself as one.You´re still a charm, but your initial humbleness and low profile seem to have been substituted by a certain egotism (and it comes to mind that a British “sir” made that same mistake once). You´re now a star, a rising one, and u damm well know it. You want not one, nor two, but the largest audience possible.That may explain your appearance on so many different soundtracks such as Shrek, Zoolander, I am Sam and Moulin Rouge.

And your coming duet with Dido on “Bridget Jones´s diary II” only serves to feed your growing hunger for limelight.

You´ve also tried the public Crossover at Tv shows like Jay Leno and Absolutely fabulous.

So the next logical step is becoming a movie star… and no doubt you´re gonna make it once “The aviator” and Heights” debut.

You´re dazzled and in love with yourself. And it´s getting difficult to disguise it anymore...

I saw it on stage where sometimes u seemed like a young Elton masquerading himself as a grown up Buckley.

Obviously you´re a good entertainer. A fuckin´good one, no doubt about it!

But let me tell u that, for several occasions, I drifted away and realized how much I miss Jeff´s grace, innocence and genialness that made possible the touchig of his soul at every performance. At that precise moment, i clearly understood why, contrary to my expectations, I wasn´t being driven by the gig: there was lack of passion there. I was facing an artist, not a man!

I wasn´t counting on that. Maybe my expectations were mistaken or just too high. But I don´t think so!

I met u, both the man and the musician.

( that´s one of the problems of trespassing imaginary things with reality…)

You sung about your past but you´re present mood is a very different one.

And one you´re not quite comfortable and in touch with yet.

You are indeed a good poser, Rufus, but i´m no longer boyish… so I guess it´s ultimately my fault!

Anyway, piano man, you did go ahead and surprised me!

There were great moments and your last song, well, what can i say?

It was brilliant. Chilling perfect! I felt touched there!

You left the country assured that you had an audience here, contrary to what happened last time u were around. You´re right, you do have. And it´s getting more and more diverse. Your message is being spread, young Jedi…

Maybe next time, with the band, ya´ll understand that “the Portuguese don´t have all black air” (although u loved it!). Who knows...

Anyway, it was an honest, competent and efficient show (and expensive, by the way, for a simple unplugged – put the blame on the organization!).

But it wasn’t magnificent!

Tin man, sorry, but you´re not somewhere over the rainbow anymore...

Still, i´m left with the records. These are my truly instant pleasures, the ones i´ll treasure forever.

And, as you know, because u also agree three is company, some things were not meant to be shared with an audience.

So, please be kind.

Because in private you still count.

And in there, afterwards, u really left me a mess!...



Comments: Enviar um comentário

<< Home